Monday, July 20, 2009

Beartooth Pass













The Beartooth Mountain range run next to Yellowstone from the northeast section of the park out across the northern border of Wyoming and Montana. Highway 212 cuts through the mountains and creates the highest place in the US that a car can drive, Beartooth Pass. As soon as I heard about this pass, I knew I had to drive it. I wanted to be 10, 000 feet on a mountain.

Getting there was a challenge. Even though Highway 212 is a US route, it stll climbs steeply and has tigh turns. And it was long. As the crow flys, the distance between the two cities on either side of the pass, was about 40 miles. Driving distance was 52 miles and the time it took was two hours.

But I was on top of the world. . . . literally.

In one picture, you can see the curvy switchback road.

Yes, that is snow up there. We were above the tree line. The weather was sunny and warm, about 72, but windy.

My daughter is standing next to the elevation sign, 10, 947 feet above sea level.

I also posted some pictures of bison (buffalo) in the park. They roam free and as you can see, stand right next to the road. The visitors are warned not to get too close to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment